If you've been following along on my blog this week, you'll know that today is Denise's birthday. Denise is my boss who I've been lucky enough to work very closely with for the past few years. Below is a list of lessons that she's taught me whether she knows it or not. Listed in order that they came to me - 23 for September 23 - silly or serious, I think there's something on here for everyone!
Happy Birthday Denise!
1. Delete emails before your inbox hits 49.9 GB and locks up your computer
2. Be honest
3. Keep secrets and people will tell you the good ones
4. FaceBook. YouTube. Tweeter. InstaGram. Hash Tag. Wait. What?
5. Triple check everything. Online content. Liner notes. Approval. Shipping addresses. Eblasts. Venue ticket pages. Online content. Liner notes. Approval. Shipping addresses. Eblasts. Venue ticket pages. Online content. Liner notes. Approval. Shipping addresses. Eblasts. Venue ticket pages.
6. Work with someone who shares your passion but has an opposite skill set
7. Be authentic and have passion for what you do
8. Send birthday cards. And thank you cards. And love letters.
9. It's ok to cuss sometimes
10. Use a calendar. Multiple ones. Like on your phone, iPad, paper, computer...
11. Ticket counts. Get those. Marketing plans too.
12. Relationships. Those are most important. This should probably be #1.
13. Dream big. #GirlBoss #GirlPower
14. It's not the end of the world if you're late (see mom & dad!?)
15. Music Row alleys are for avoiding one way streets and stop lights
16. Teaching is rewarding
17. Sometimes you just gotta pick up the phone (I'm still practicing this one, but I know it's true)
18. Massages and margaritas cure stress... at least temporarily
19. A true artist has a better live show than a recorded album
20. Don't just strum your guitar all the way through a song because that's lame
21. Collaborations can be powerful but must not be forced
22. If you try to force success it won't stand the test of time. True success doesn't happen overnight.
23. Asking questions only makes you smarter